Sunday, August 16, 2009

Road tripping!

So that song, 'The Red Hot Chilli Peppers' the first few lines just sum up what life is about at the mo. Road tripping with my two favorite allys, Jeffery and Farquar (hahaha, Steve knows he's on the list too.)



So we drove to Skopje, Macedonia to see our friend Scot Bower and his family to find out what God is doing there with them in that city. We walked, up a mountain and back down, we walked around old town, along the river, past the football stadium (where Spain beat Macedonia that night!) and we walked through the park back to the house. So after lots of walking a bit of praying and some good chats with Scot we decide that it's a good city and that God has some big plans.




Then Thursday morning we packed up and set off on a 6 day drive to Frankfurt. via lake Ohrid, Macedonia, a ridge top Albanian mountain road, the coast of Montenegro, the coast of Croatia, a very brief period in Bosnia-Herzegovina and then on up the coast of Croatia which is marked on the map as a scenic route.


well I knew a little bit about scenary having spent a fair amount of time on Dartmoor, travelled around the Uk and driven around Iceland. But this was breath taking. Every corner, hill and new view drew low whistles and sighs from Steve and myself. we just drank deep from the song of creation (when it says in the bible that the rocks would cry out, I think that maybe they already do. maybe they scream worship and Glory to God in the very beauty they display day in day out!).




So not only the amazing scenary and God given privelige to be here but I also get to do one of my favorite things on some of the best roads! I get to Drive (ok only every other day), I get to drive fast, take corners like they were built to be taken and give Jeffery an Experience any car would dream of. Having shown Steve some proper understeer on a mountainous hairpin I've decided that I really really really love driving and that no matter how many miles I do a quick trip on a good road will bring that love to overflowing!




So here I sit on Jeffery's bonnet, in a Croatian campsite, using a borrowed wireless connection to tell the world (or anyone who happens to read my mutterings) that the sun still shines, the stars are still good and God can be found anywhere.


I had a quick thought earlier about Jonah. How did he ever think he could run away from God? There we were driving down the road and I just realised that it had never occured to me that God might not be there. How awful would it be to go somewhere where God isn't?




Thankyou Miss Tina Aurand for a small insight into what that might be like.

2 comments:

  1. That is funny, at some hour on Sunday morning that seldom exists to me, I was discussing Jonah. A curious incidental to the discussion was I learnt that in the Good News translation (in the church I was in, which I don't know my way around and didn't want to put the lights on, that was the only version I could find) all animals had to put sackcloths on, not just cattle. Some amusing images came to mind.
    I have been in a place where God was not. I then understood that Hell is not fire and brimstone but a place where God is not. It was hideous -painfully tortuous and I hope to never go back.

    How is the mint imperial supply?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favourite of your entries! xxx

    ReplyDelete