Thursday, July 23, 2009

Handbags and Gladrags

I don’t know why, but for some reason I’ve had Streophonics’ Handbags and Gladrags going round in my head today. So I’m trying to think what message I should pick up from this song, I guess the main point of which is to not take things for granted and to make the most of what we have especially when someone else had to work hard to get it for us.

There’s so many things we’ve seen here in Kosova that back up this point and that could drive it home, yet it’s not really a thought I’ve been having. I think I’ve been much more struck by the normality of the abnormal. How do unfinished houses become expected? How do stray dogs and kittens become just something to avoid in the car? How does a family living without running water become just another family? How does a hole in the floor become a toilet? How is it that we so easily become immune to the stark differences from what we are used to and maybe miss the impact it should have?

Perhaps I just take for granted which ever situation I find myself in and get on with life. Perhaps I don’t make the most of my opportunities and experiences. Maybe I should actually take hold of the words that have been spoken by many random men whose lives have been high jacked by God: ‘Pray as though it all depends on God and live as if it all depends on you!’ Maybe I should start living what I’ve been talking about, and turning my dreams into actions.

Gary Jones arrived in Gjakova yesterday with his son Sam and we had a small chat about foundations of prayer from a previous generation clearing the way for us to sow seeds for a rich harvest. Other people have worked hard to teach, nurture and pray for me and my generation, I guess it would be a bit rude not to make the most of the opportunities that come out of that foundation.

I wrote a poem a few months ago that ended something like this:
So I’ll give up my Tv and my books,
Leave my social life habits and my good looks,
I’ll give up my family and friends,
My music and my passions use for God’s ends,
I give up on my dreams and my plans for success,
Cos what God has on offer is the BEST!

So I do really want to live this stuff out, but sometimes it’s just hard to know where to start.

1 comment: