Saturday, September 19, 2009

Amsterdam

So this is out of order and I should have written this before the last, but I've been working on it slowly and it's been tough.

The Dam, the actual Amsterdam, the famous tulip growing capital of the low land of windmills that is The Netherlands.

Friday night we turn up, having found a campsite on the web and not really sure what we were gonna do for the next few days except be in the Amster of Dam. Set up tent and got things a little bit sorted, then in to town to find dinner and check out the YWAM base cos it might be cheaper to stay there the next couple of nights.

That's when we realise that again we're just walking in the footsteps of the big guy going ahead, this isn't an unplanned quick visit to see what's happening, we have a purpose and a reason for being here. This weekend is Mission Amsterdam. a colaboration of christians from across Holland, Germany, America and England coming together to reach the lost of this city.

First night: We're holding a Dance party in a Massive old Church just inside the red light. gonna give out some invitations and try to chat with a few people.

Second night: up in North town, over the river, a party in the park with a stage out the back of a lorry from England, a Latvian funk group and still a bunch of crazy christians handing out invitations and desperately praying for doorways into people's lives.

Third night: Going west to the Islamic part of town, a similar style to the night before, this time on the square and with maybe a few more people.

boom. Amsterdam has been missionised for the next year. yea?

No. there's a prayer room in the red light and dedicated believers who reach out, there's local churches and mission focused communities in north town and out in the west a young guy supported by his tired church seeks to plant new church with life into islam centred community.

Well the first two nights I get involved and observe and chat to other people on the teams. Then Sunday night. the local set up team can't make it so I step back into action man sound guy mode. Setting up the stage, connecting wires, speakers, lights and just loving every bit of it, I hang around and talk to the sound guy about which model of desk he prefers and chat to the lighting guy about how he's set up the moving heads. Two hours later I'm sitting at the techy base running things cos the other two have gone for dinner, they get back and the lighting guy decides to take the night off, so I'm on. Out on the streets not speaking Dutch and not really knowing how to start a conversation with someone I probably have nothing in common with I feel lost. But in techy mode and back where I've been so many times, I'm at home and totally loving it.

So to sum up my time in the Amsterdam, I have to say that it is the most beautiful city I've been to. absolutely, no questions. but it's done something to me, I can't think of the city without tears welling in my eyes and incredible sadness flooding through me. We walked through the red light district a few times. We'd heard stories and knew a bit of what to expect but... nothing can prepare you and no explaination can give a true picture. Rows and rows of windows with only one thing for sale and then the broken shadows of men searching for a good time.

So we must pray.
Pray for the Broken lives going through that city.
Pray for the Lives of those in the City.
And Pray for the workers, those giving their lives to bring love and change to the most beautiful of cities.

2 comments:

  1. awesome and inspiring blog - I really enjoyed reading it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. there it is, I knew you had it in you. Use it sim, in everything

    ReplyDelete